Google+ Girls Game with Color: Out of Character: Kefka Final Fantasy VI

Friday, July 5, 2013

Out of Character: Kefka Final Fantasy VI

What do think you've found?
Here...
In this dying world?
Why do you build, knowing destruction is inevitable?
Why do you yearn to live, knowing all things must die?

Sometimes we have characters that stay with us.  Villains that never stop haunting us.
For me, one of those is Kefka from Final Fantasy VI.

Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear: Cherry Red-White On-Black Out , Sinful Colors Cross My Heart-Unicorn, Pure Ice Last Chance, L'oreal Hyde Park-Bubble Trouble, and Essie Stylenomics
To see the look, click on the read more button!
I think one of main reason Kefka has stuck with me through the years is that he is one of those villains that is just evil.  He isn't bad because of a rough childhood, he isn't bad because someone made him that way, he just is.  In a lot of ways Kefka is an embodiment of pure evil.  So much of what he does in Final Fantasy VI is just because he wants to do something to harm people.

In later Final Fantasy games we start to see more villains with sympathetic back stories, they start to be become more characters in a story than just a villain.  There is a time and place for that, but at the same time I do love to have a reason to hate a person I am fighting! Plus, just listen to his theme song.  You can tell he was a little messed up!


To create my look for Kefka I used influences from the original design by Yoshitaka Amano. I seriously love Amano's work so much that if I could I would plaster every wall in my house with framed copies of his work. ^_^ 

Kefka by Yoshitaka Amano

There is also this gorgeous updated version of Amano's design that was made for the PSP game Dissidia.


Using these as my guide this is what I came up with!

Kefka Nails - Natural Sunlight
I ended up using so many colors for this, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Cherry Red, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Black Out , Sinful Colors Cross My Heart, Sinful Colors Unicorn, Pure Ice Last Chance, L'oreal Hyde Park, L'oreal Bubble Trouble, and Essie Stylenomics. I also custom mixed a few of the colors to get the shades I wanted.


I hope you can actually tell it's "inspired by" Kefka!

One of the things I love so much about Kefka's design is that you can pull so many different things from it to use. I'm already thinking about how I can do this one again differently!

Your turn, tell me who YOUR favorite villain from a video game is in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment