Google+ Girls Game with Color: Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots - Swatches and Reviews

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots - Swatches and Reviews

Oh hey look, it's Wednesday Gamer Girls!

I spent the better part of this morning swearing that it was Tuesday... I was planning my whole day as if it was a Tuesday until I looked at a calendar to check something.  So Yay for magically losing a day this week! ^_~

Today I have a little set of new Maybelline polishes, the Color Show Polka Dots!

Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots Collection
Click the read more button for swatches and review!



Blue Marks the Spot

Blue Marks the Spot bottle - Natural Sunlight
Blue Marks the spot is a really pretty light cornflower blue jelly base packed full of small to medium white and black matte glitter.  I found the base of this color to be the thinnest looking on me, even after 3 coats.

Blue Marks the Spot - Natural Sunlight
Blue Marks the Spot - Natural Sunlight

Clearly Spotted

Clearly Spotted bottle - Natural Sunlight
I love black and white glitter as much as I love Godiva dark chocolate, which is saying A LOT.  That being said, I loooooooove this top coat.  I want to put it over every polish I own.  I want to make glitter sandwiches with it.  I think I need to buy, like, 5 back up bottles of this.  Oh sorry, I'll stop waxing on poetically about it... but seriously?  I think you *need* this in your life too.

It was an easy topper to work with, the base is pretty thin and flood nicely.  I didn't have to dig for glitter, and I didn't have to do any placing on nails.
For this picture I am showing one coat of Clearly Spotted over Sinful Colors Pull Over.

Clearly Spotted - Natural Sunlight


Dotty

Dotty bottle - Natural Sunlight
Dotty is a really pretty true orange jelly packed with the same small to medium size matte black and white glitter.  I like the depth of orange that Dotty has, its very rich.
I have seen some other bloggers saying that they are not a fan of Dotty because they think it looks too "Halloween".  I have to be honest, it doesn't really give me a big Halloween vibe.  I think it's a really fun color, and if you like orange I think you'll love this.
I'm showing Dotty with 3 coats.

Dotty - Natural Sunlight
Dotty - Natural Sunlight


Drops of Jade

Drops of Jade bottle - Natural Sunlight
Drops of Jade is a bit of a departure from the other colors in this collection.  While the base isn't very thick it is a crelly... well maybe more of a thick jelly?  It's very thin for a crelly.  The name of this polish fits, as its a very beautiful jade green color.  I really want a bottle of just this base!  I don't have anything close to it in color.
Drops of Jade is shown with 3 coats in the pictures below.

Drops of Jade - Natural Sunlight
Drops of Jade - Natural Sunlight


Pretty in Polka

Pretty in Polka bottle - Natural Sunlight
I am a huge fan of pink, and Pretty in Polka hits just the right spot for me!  Its a very pretty fuchsia pink filled with the matte black and white glitter.  I like how girly the pink feels, but I really think the black and white kinda punk it up a bit.  The base is a thin jelly, but I found it to apply well.  I loved how this color looked with my skin, and it is probably my favorite out of the color base polka dots. 
Pretty in Polka is shown with 3 coats in the pictures below.

Pretty in Polka - Natural Sunlight
Pretty in Polka - Natural Sunlight

Nail Art with Polka Dots!

This first look isn't technically nail art, but it is a different way to wear this collection... Matte-ified!  I have recently fallen head over hills with glitter packed jellies with a matte coat over them thanks to Accio Lacquer.  So because of her influence I had to see what these looked like...  I luv them with it!  Total win.
Though, I will say I need a more matte matte top coat.  My Revlon Matte Top Coat looks very satin in this picture.

Polka Dot collection with Revlon Matte top coat - Natural Sunlight
After my matte loving I tried to do a manicure look with these.  For this manicure I ended with Pretty in Polka on my thumbs and Essie First Timer on all my other fingers.  Then I used Clearly Spotted on my ring finger and my pinky.  I also really liked how this came out, it made me think of Watermelon. =D

Polka Dot Nail Art - Natural Sunlight


Now a few things about the collection as a whole that I wanted to mention.
The color based polishes in this collection can be a bit of a pain to put on.  You do have to be a little careful with application so as not to bunch up the glitter.  Some finesse is need on the first coat in particular because of this.
These polish might not have a very smooth surface on their own.  I really recommend a thick top coat such as Seche Vite to help if you want a glassy finish.  If it's really bumpy try to do a coat of matte top coat and cover that with a coat of shiny top coat to get the "lip gloss" look that this collection is really pretty for!
I will also say, I think this glitter is the hardest glitter that I own to remove.  Maybe because it's matte?  I'm not sure, but just prepare yourself to either use the foil method to remove these or another glitter removal method.  I use this little tub from Target personally.

Overall, I think this is a collection that has something for everyone.  I highly recommend picking up at least Clearly Spotted to any nail enthusiast,  but really at the retail price of $2.99 a piece I think this set is affordable enough to splurge and grab the whole thing.  I love that the main brands are branching out and giving us unique polishes with different finishes, and I really hope we see this tread continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment